Friday, June 20, 2008

Preparation for the 1st Backpacking Trip

Welcome to my blog.
Before you read on, let me mention a few things about my blog:
(a) I am not like my mom and dad (I won't perfect my blog post for 2 weeks b4 I post it), I am writing this straight from my head and I will post it immediately after.
(b) I will not proof read any of this; you will find msispeilngs, grammar errors! and sl4ng.
(c) Read on at your own risk ;)


Pack'er Up!
I have done lots of camping and hiking before but I have never actually backpacked. For my first trip ever I packed my bag like I knew exactly what I was doing. The only thing I knew for sure was that I'd have a delicious dinner once I got to wherever I was going. Inside aluminum foil I put in 1 1/2 chopped up sausages, union, green pepper, carrots, some all purpose seasoning, and a little bit of butter.




I packed trail mix, water, my sleeping bag, a mini-stove, and some other small things.


Time To Head-Out!
At 4:20 in the morning I woke up. My plan was to take my online test, hike down to the NPS headquarters (right down the street), and at 6am and bum a ride into the Valley.

Go figure, my plans totally fall apart at 5:30 when I realize my computer has a virus called Vundo. It totally prevents me from completing my online test. For 6 hours I wrestle with my computer. By the time I'm about to punch a hole through my screen, I get things going well enough to at least complete the test in Safe Mode. I leave the virus to deal with when I get home.

At 12:15pm I have my bag packed and I head out the door with my reliable hiking stick (which I found behind the house) and, what I guessed to be about, a 25-30 pound bag. Thumbin' it.

For an hour I walk through the mid-day heat with my thumb up. I've never hitch hiked before. I stood for one hour, one mile and a half from my place, and watch 200 cars pass. I start to wonder if I simply SUCK at hitch-hiking. I conclude that maybe I should read a tutorial online, "How to hitch-hike," I'm sure there's one out there. I decided that's what I'll do, save my hiking trip for the next weekend, and just relax another night at my apartment.

After 1 hour and 15 minutes of standing out sweating my face off, I walk back with my thumb up. I'm sure it was a pitiful sight, given I was now walking the opposite way with my thumb up.

Before I had walked 10 feet, a man named Keith turned the corner in a blue pickup truck. I knew right away he was going to pick me up, he looked like a local. I've heard local's will always help you ou. Keith used to work at the park, 14 years with the DNC (Delaware North Company). He had since moved to the Bay area to work construction. He was out this way visiting some of his old buds from work. We talked the whole way down. I quickely saw that hitch-hiking is an amazing thing. For 30 minutes you attempt to explain your life story to someone that you will most likely never see again. Hence, you get to listen and tell the best of the best. It's fun.


Adonde?
At this point I had no idea where I wanted to hike. With my late start I was even more lost as to where I should go. I had heard the high-country was great (Tuwalame, White Wolf, Hetch Hetchy, etc.). I was planning on taking a bus up there, 10,000 feet above sealevel. Keith informed me that I had already missed the only bus that goes up there, it leaves around 7 in the morning. Knowing it would be impossible to find a camping spot in the valley,we sought out two options: (a) sleeping in the medow and hopefully not getting caught, or (b) hiking and getting a ride back to the apartment that night. He suggested the Mist Trail would be a good hike to do, given my late start and current situation. Knowing he was an experienced Yosemitier, I took his advice.

I had a backpack with enough to get me by for one night.
Honestly, at this point, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. It'd be safe to say, I never knew. But this is kinda how I am. I just go.

4 comments:

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

There's something wrong about that picture of the food sitting on the sink...
I know, it's way too much fresh, healthy stuff for a normal 19-year-old. What did I do wrong? Why didn't I bring my son up to eat fast food like the rest of the world?

annie said...

Hey Peter!
Keep on truckin' -- you've got me hooked! What a great adventure for the summer. Hope you find just a few moments each day to share new stuff you've learned, new people you've met, and the good and bad of Summer Life in Yosemite!
Hugs for Happy Travels,
Ann

John Duke said...

The Mist Trail is the one we took last year (when Jody was very bad and should not have been out there). Did you camp next to the swimming hole pond with the slide-like rock bringing the water down? I can't remember the name of it right now. It was a very nice hike, though. We made it just above that pond, then decided to go down the back way, since we weren't prepared to go all the way to Half Dome.

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

I think it was Emerald Pond...